The Importance of Cleaning and Maintaining Roller Shutters for Longevity and Efficiency
In the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, it’s easy to overlook the maintenance of certain elements in our homes or businesses. One such overlooked yet crucial aspect is the cleaning and maintenance of roller shutters. These versatile and durable installations offer numerous benefits, and to ensure they continue to do so, regular care is essential.
1. Prolonged Lifespan:
Roller shutters are a long-term investment that provides privacy, and energy efficiency. Regular cleaning and maintenance can significantly extend their lifespan. Dust, debris, and grime accumulation can lead to corrosion and wear, reducing the overall durability of the shutters.
2. Optimal Performance:
Efficiency is key when it comes to roller shutters. Over time, dirt and debris can interfere with the smooth operation of the shutter mechanism. Regular cleaning ensures that the shutters open and close seamlessly, maintaining their functionality.
3. Enhanced Aesthetic Appeal:
Clean roller shutters contribute to the overall aesthetic appeal of your property. Whether at home or in a commercial setting, a well-maintained exterior speaks volumes about the care and attention given to the property. Regular cleaning prevents the build-up of stains and discolouration, preserving the visual appeal of the roller shutters.
4. Energy Efficiency:
Window roller shutters are known for their insulating properties, helping regulate temperature and reduce energy consumption. However, this efficiency can be compromised if the shutters are not properly maintained. Cleaning away dirt and dust ensures that the shutters can form a tight seal when closed, effectively contributing to energy conservation.
5. Prevention of Damage:
Neglecting roller shutter maintenance can lead to more serious issues over time. Rust and corrosion, if left unchecked, can cause irreversible damage, potentially resulting in costly repairs or even the need for complete replacement. Regular cleaning acts as a preventive measure, addressing issues before they escalate.
How To Clean Roller Shutters From the Inside and Outside:
Your roller shutters are a great addition to your home but could require cleaning from time to time. Spider webs, watermarks and dust are the common things you might need to clean the roller shutter surfaces.
What should I use to clean my roller shutters?
Use the following items on the outside of the shutters.
- Soft cloth
- Small water bucket with warm water
- Washing up liquid
- Soft brush
- Soft cloth
- Garden hose
Step 1. Cleaning the outside of your roller shutters
- Ensure your roller shutters are pulled all the way down, go outside and mix some washing-up liquid in the water bucket with some warm water.
- Use a clean sponge wipe down the roller shutter and remove any dirt or dust particles downwards.
- There may be small particles that get stuck between the slats of the roller shutter.
- Use a garden hose to wash away any cleaning solution.
- You can use a hose and increase the pressure on the hose by nipping the end with your thumb and finger to help with the cleaning process.
- Do not use a high-pressure washer on the roller shutter slats as these can potentially damage the roller shutters. Also ensure you do not hose inside the box, as it could affect the electronics inside the motor.
- To avoid getting watermarks on your roller shutters, it is a good idea to dry them with a cloth afterwards. Ensure the cloth is dry and use an up-and-down motion to dry the shutter.
- Once the shutters are dry, roll them up about halfway, it’s time to tackle the inside of the shutter area.
Step 2. Cleaning the inside of the roller shutter.
- Cleaning from behind the roller shutter can be tricky depending on the window shape and size. A sponge on a stick can help get behind the hard-to-reach places from the inside if you are having trouble. These are available at Bunnings and other hardware stores.
- You can either put the shutter halfway down or clean it from the outside. This is good for the bottom half of the shutter. Then it’s a good idea to finish the top part of the inside of the shutter from inside the home.
- Cleaning from the outside first it allows you to get rid of the worst of the dirt or mess without it having a chance of coming into the home.
- Most of the time mess is minimal inside unless they have been down for weeks and spiders have made a home. Some of the brickwork of the home may also require cleaning.
- While the shutters are halfway down it’s a good idea not to apply too much pressure whilst cleaning from the inside out when it is just halfway down.
- Spider webs should be removed, use a stick and wind the web around to quickly dispose of it with minimal fuss, be careful of any spiders that climb out.
- Use the same approach to the inside of the shutter as you did previously with the outside. Use a wet sponge with washing up liquid and clean in an up and downward direction.
- Ensuring all the soap has been removed and finished with a dry cloth.
- Once complete, ensure the roller shutters operate as expected and repeat the process for other roller shutters in your home.
How To Clean Roller Shutter Tracks
The best way to clean a roller shutter guide or track involves the following steps:
- Ensure your roller shutters are pulled all the way down and mix some washing-up liquid in a bucket with warm water
- Use a clean sponge or soft cloth to wipe down the roller shutter and remove any dirt or dust particles downwards
- Clean the tracks by using a soft cloth or brush to remove any dirt or debris on the surface of the tracks
- If there is any stubborn dirt or grime, use a mild soap and water mixture to help remove it
- Be sure to rinse the tracks off afterwards so that no residue is left behind
- Lubricate the tracks with grease or oil to ensure smooth operation and prevent them from getting dry
Is it safe to clean Electric Roller Shutters?
You should be able to turn off the roller shutters from your power board or electric box on the side of your home. This will ensure that you have an extra level of safety whilst cleaning your shutters. This would not be a necessary process on battery or manually operated roller shutters.
Do I need to remove the shutters to clean them?
Although you can remove them, it’s not recommended to take them on and off the wall multiple times as drilling into the same holes they are mounted into can cause issues with keeping the shutter secured to the wall or frame in the long term. For general maintenance, it’s not necessary to remove the roller shutters for a clean.
Call Open N Shut for Roller Shutters today!
Get in touch with Open N Shut today to learn about how you could save thousands on brand-new Roller Shutters! The latest technology allows easy-to-control wireless remotes with multi-channel selection allowing you to control all the rooms from one remote!
We provide domestic roller shutter quotes for the people of Perth and Adelaide