Home invasions are a concerning issue that impacts the safety and well-being of individuals and families. As a matter of fact, the recent increase in home invasions in Australia has made it essential for homeowners to protect their homes and loved ones.
In this post, we will discuss the frequency of home invasions and also share valuable tips on how you can protect yourself from home invasions.
At Open N Shut, we understand the importance of home security and the peace of mind it brings to our customers. Because we care about you and your loved ones, we provide high-quality products and services that help protect your property.
Australian Home Burglary Statistics:
- According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, there were approximately 168,000 victims of unlawful entry with intent (break-ins) across Australia in 2019.
- On average, a home burglary occurs every 3 minutes in Australia, emphasizing the need for effective security measures.
- Approximately 75% of burglars gain entry through a door, highlighting the importance of robust and secure doors.
- The majority of break-ins are opportunistic, with burglars targeting homes that appear to have weak security measures in place.
- Homes without security measures in place are up to five times more likely to be targeted by burglars.
Protecting yourself from home invasions involves a combination of physical security measures and good habits.
Here are some tips to help you safeguard your home:
- Install a home security system: Security cameras around the exterior of your home can stop burglars, and video surveillance can provide valuable evidence in case of a break-in
- Keep doors and windows locked: Always close and lock all doors and windows, even when you are at home. Use deadbolts on exterior doors, vertical bolts and metal or wooden rods on sliding doors, and strong window locks.
- Use exterior lighting: A well-lit yard can deter criminals who prefer to target dark, empty-looking homes. Install bright lighting around your property, including motion-activated lights and floodlights.
- Secure valuables: Store valuable items in a safe or hidden location, as burglars often target easily accessible spots.
- Maintain visibility: Keep shrubs and trees trimmed around your home to eliminate hiding spots for intruders.
- Create the illusion of occupancy: When you’re away, use timers to turn lights on and off, and consider leaving a radio or TV on to give the impression that someone is home.
- Get to know your neighbours: A strong community can help deter criminals. Neighbours can keep an eye on each other’s properties and report suspicious activity to the police.
By implementing these tips, you might reduce the risk of home invasions and ensure the safety of your property.
Open N Shut Products for Enhanced Security:
We offer roller shutters and security doors designed to increase the security of your home and deter potential burglars.
Our roller shutters are an effective solution for preventing break-ins and enhancing the security of your home. They provide a strong physical barrier that deters burglars and protects your windows, which are common entry points for intruders. In addition to their security benefits, roller shutters also offer increased privacy, insulation, and noise reduction.
Our high-quality security doors can withstand forced entry attempts and provide an additional layer of protection for your home.
Made from materials such as steel or aluminium, these doors feature reinforced frames and heavy-duty locks to ensure the safety of your property.
In fact, by installing security doors, you might reduce the risk of a break-in and give yourself peace of mind.
At Open N Shut, our commitment is to help you protect your home and loved ones from the threat of burglary.
We can help you with your home security needs and let our team of experts help you select the best solutions for your property!